Fall Catfish Patterns 2012

Postby CatfishON! » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:09 pm

The weather is finally taken a turn toward Fall. Today was a great day to be on the water. Water temps are in the high 70's to low 80's and during low light there is lots of bait in the middle sections of major creeks. I have not observed feeding gamefish in the backs of creeks on the southern end of Wylie but it is coming. The catfish bite was outstanding today. I started fishing in the back of the creek this morning but I did not get bit until about 1/3 the way toward the mouth in 25 to 30 feet of water. Overall fish have been deeper than expected. Several times we had multiple fish on. Our catch today was about a 3 to 1 ratio channel cats to blues and topping out the day with greater than 30 fish total. Cut bream was working very well today and has traditionally been a strong fall bait. Our large fish was a 14 pound blue and we caught several fish in the 6 to 10 pound range. Usually when the weather is so beautiful I don't expect such a strong bite but today was a nice exception.
Attachments
donna18.jpg
Donna's 18 pound Wylie blue caught 9-25-2012
donna18.jpg (95.92 KiB) Viewed 1478 times
CatfishON!

Advertisment

Advertisment

Re: Fall Catfish Patterns 2012

Postby CatfishON! » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:31 am

Yesterday the weather was great with cloud cover all day and nice temperatures. The catfish bite was very good in the morning until early afternoon but around 2 pm it dropped off sharply. We had a very good haul of greater than 40 catfish and a nice largemouth bass that decided to turn bottom feeder. The cats were a mixture of blues and channels with a large fish of 19 pounds falling to cut bait. Fish continue to be scattered through the middle to lower end of creeks in the 25 foot range. On the main channel we picked up a good number of small 1 to 2 pound blues just perfect for the frying pan. Water temperature on the surface is around 77 degrees and the main channel was quite clear for Lake Wylie. Bait pods are starting to mass up especially in the afternoon in the very back of creeks.
CatfishON!

Postby CatfishON! » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:07 pm

The lake had been pullled down a foot or two and the water temp is down to 75.7. Fishing today was slower than usual. Fish were very scattered across the board following the back end of the front that passed through this am. Lots of bait mid creek early which dispersed a couple hours following sunrise and the bite soured a bit. Still managed to catch some scattered channels and a couple small blue cats.
CatfishON!

Postby CatfishON! » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:51 pm

Water temps approaching 70 degrees on the surface in the morning. Noticing small bluegill starting to mass up and be present in schools around shallow docks especially in the afternoon. Still have not seen a great bait presence in the backs of the creeks accompanied by surface feeding bass. The catfish bite is good to very good. The morning and late afternoon seem to be the best times. Spent two full days on the water. The middle creek bite was better than the open water (main channel) bite. We caught probably 60+ fish in two days and most were channel catfish. For every 4 channel cats we caught a blue cat. Blue cat size was from 2 pounds to 15 pounds with most fish being in the 3 to 5 pound range. Bait was cut fresh shad and bluegill/white perch. All cut baits seemed to perform equally well. Now is a good time to enjoy fishing Lake Wylie. Mornings are cool not cold and the afternoons are beautiful.
CatfishON!

Postby CatfishON! » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:46 pm

Surface temperatures are in the high 50's and low 60's. Bait is being chased by bass in the backs of creeks. The catfish bite is outstanding. Blue cats to 20 pounds and channels to 8 pounds are being taken on the drift. Numbers of fish are up. Multiple catfish on happened several times on my last outing and the take was very strong. This is the time of Fall when is easy to have a 40 fish day. Cut bait and cut shad is producing well but I give the nod to cut fish because it is harder to get off the hook.
CatfishON!

Postby CatfishON! » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:41 pm

Weather was outstanding today and the bite was good but not as hot as last time out. Still caught more blues today than channel cats and the size was very good 6-14 pounds on the blue cats. Some gulls are present on the main channel and I noticed a large band of bait holding deep. Good white perch signal around 32 feet, I did not fish for them however. Surface temp 60F +/- a degree depending whare you were on the lake. Water is very clear.
CatfishON!

Postby Cap'n Ahab » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:13 pm

"water is very clear" ......(and LOW?)
Cap'n Ahab

Postby CatfishON! » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:16 pm

Yesterday the lake was not as kind to us as it has been in the past couple weeks. The chilly wind was steady out of the north and the skies were as blue as a bird following the front that passed a couple days ago. Managed to catch about a dozen fish but it was apparent that they were not really on the feed this morning. Later around noon, we picked up a very nice blue at around 22 pounds but fish were spaced wide apart. Surface water temp has fallen to around 56 degrees and the lake water appeared less clear on the main channel. Some light bird activity noted to include cormorant, gulls and a loon. Water level is down a little too.
CatfishON!

Return to Catfish